Occasionally you may want to check the state of a virtual machine, to check whether it is running or not. On the very few times that VMotion failed for one reason or another, a VM will fail to resume on the source host or start on the destination host.
From the Service Console you can check the state of running machines by typing vmware-cmd //server.vmx getstate. You can also kill the VM if it is truly in a hung state by using the procedure below.
- Login to the service console
- You can check the VM state by typing vmware-cmd //server.vmx getstate
- Type ps -ef | grep
- The second column is your pid of the vmkload_app of the Virtual Machine, you can also type ps –eaf to see all running processes
- Type kill -9
- Check VM state again, it should now be off
- Type vmware-cmd //server.vmx start to power on VM